Sunday, May 31, Raise the Roof volunteers, sponsors, friends, board members, and new Habitat for Humanity homeowners, Kawusu and Ramatu Sheriff, celebrated the dedication of Raise the Roof’s 11th Habitat for Humanity build at 603 Sherman Parkway in New Haven. Kawusu, Ramatu and their four children, Fatima (daughter, age 8), Hawa (daughter, age 6), Sualiho (son, age 4) and Bindu (daughter, age 5 months), have a beautiful new, two-story, three-bedroom home with a wonderful yard. The Sheriffs located here from Sierra Leone. Kawusu spoke at the dedication and expressed deep gratitude to all who have helped the family achieve their dream of home ownership. Kawusu loved working on his family’s new home so much that he put in many more than the 400 hours Habitat requires of its homeowners.
Watch a slideshow from the dedication here
603 Sherman Parkway, New Haven
The Sheriff children with some friends at the entrance to their new home
Glenn Stewart of Habitat Greater New Haven and Kawusu Sheriff celebrate the culmination of work done well.
The Sheriff family members received handmade quilts from the Southford Falls Quilt Group.
Kawusu with Ed Pellegrino, Madison Rotary President, David Chew, Branford Rotary President, and Gary Drake, Guilford Rotary Project Coordinator
The Shoreline Rotary Clubs were the Premier Build Sponsors for 603 Sherman Parkway.
Ramatu and Kawusu Sheriff with three of their children
The Habitat office and warehouse (lower level of building) is located at 37 Union Street, New Haven.
Driving Directions from shoreline:
• Take I-95 south toward New Haven
• After East Haven, follow signs to right lane for Rte. 34 West exit
• At Exit 1, take a right onto Orange Street (one way)
• Follow Orange for one block to traffic light
• Turn right onto George Street
• Stay straight through three lights. The tall Knights of Columbus building will be on your right hand side.
• After crossing over railroad tracks, Habitat building will be on the right side, with chain link fence around parking lot