If you are interested in working on our current build Tuesday-Friday, please e-mail Ellen McNally in the New Haven Habitat office and let her know what date(s) you are interested in. Ellen is the person who schedules individuals. Weekday volunteers are needed!
Saturdays are reserved for groups organized by Build Coordinators. If you are part of an interested group—perhaps from work, church, or some other organization—that is not already affiliated with Raise the Roof, and there is someone willing to serve as the Build Coordinator, please email Raise the Roof. On most Saturdays, groups of up to 10 people can be accommodated.
Please note that volunteers must be 16 years old to work at the site.
1. Everyone must complete the one-time registration process. Click here to watch a 2 minute YouTube video on how to register.
2. After watching the video, click here to access the ‘VolunteerUp’ page on the Habitat of Greater New Haven website. Note: At the top of the page there is a ‘Volunteer’ tab with a drop-down menu that includes ‘Volunteer FAQ’. You may want to read through the FAQ to learn more about what you can expect at a build.
3. When you are ready to register, go back and click the ‘VolunteerUp’ button in the center of the page. Click on the ‘Register’ button under ‘I am a New Volunteer!’
4. Fill in the requested information to create a “Profile” with user name and password for future use.
5. The registration form includes the “Groups/Teams” section where you can check off the groups that you might like to volunteer with. At a minimum, check off “Raise the Roof”.
6. Especially during the summer, note that you may volunteer as an individual during the week. Those slots also appear on the calendar.
7. After registration is completed, go back to the Calendar to click on the work date you’d like to choose. You will receive an automatic confirmation email from VolunteerUp with information on time to arrive, the waiver, etc.
8. A new registered user should receive a confirmation to their email address from VolunteerUp.
9. Registered users will be able to look at the Calendar at any time to see who has volunteered on specific days.
NOTE: All volunteers are responsible for their own transportation to and from the work site. Neither Habitat nor Raise the Roof can provide or arrange transportation.
Habitat has a great volunteer opportunity – their ReStore in Wallingford. If you are a volunteer waiting for the next build to begin, a church youth group, retiree, stay-at-home mom or dad, or otherwise have a few hours to spare, the ReStore is for you!
The ReStore sells donated household items such as usable building materials, gently used furniture, working appliances, cabinets, flooring, windows, doors and tools. When you donate your recyclable usable goods, the items are sold rather going to a landfill. All proceeds provide funding for Habitat home building in the Greater New Haven area (including Raise the Roof).
The store is located at 286 South Colony Road in Wallingford. Mature youth, age 15 and older, can volunteer at this location but need their own reliable transportation. ReStore hours are Tuesday through Thursday, 10:00 am to 6:00 pm with 4-hour half day shifts available; Friday and Saturday, from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm with 3-hour half day shifts available.
Email Ellen McNally or call 203-785-0794 to sign-up or with questions.
Raise the Roof is always working on its next event. Email Raise the Roof if you are interested in helping with or contributing to a fundraising event.
There are many ongoing opportunities including: